Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What I've Learned

I told you that I've learned more than my fair share of life lessons these past few months. Some of them are too big and too wide to quantify neatly enough to include here but below I've listed some of the ones that I feel are pretty darn profound and that have some significance to me in one way or another. Some of these are my own original thoughts, some of them are pieces of advice from friends, and some are quotes I've picked up in books I've read or movies I've seen...or whatever. Regardless of where they came from, all of them are brilliant, I'm pretty sure.

* Your best friends will always be your best friends, no matter what. And there's nothing better in the whole world than that. No matter how often I see them or how far apart we are, I am surrounded by the most amazing, wonderful people who I know would drop everything to be with me if I needed them. I am so, so thankful for that.

* You have to do what's right for you and quit worrying about pleasing everyone else. This one is hard for me because I am a people pleaser and I can't stand the thought of disappointing anyone. But I'm starting to realize that often, in pleasing everyone else, the person I end up disappointing is myself.

* The people who will judge you are not the people who matter anyway.

* There's no place like home. Sometimes you just need to take a step back from everything and surround yourself with the people who love you the most. Nothing cures a broken heart like a little retail therapy and Mom's fried chicken and for me personally, nothing makes my heart happier than being back in Kentucky for any amount of time.

* For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD. "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. - Jeremiah 29:11

* He doesn't need to be reminded that you're great

* No matter how powerful and real your feelings may be for someone, if that person cannot fully and honestly return them and therefore actively love you back, these feelings mean nothing.

* Life is hard enough as it is without choosing someone difficult to share it with.

* After all... tomorrow is another day.

* Do the best you can with what you've got and what you know at the moment. Really, that's all any of us can do.

* You deserve to be with someone who is nice to you all the time.

*It really is ok to "get by with a little help from your friends." Sometimes, they're the only thing keeping you going.

* In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on. --Robert Frost

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from those of you who are reading! comments, questions, complaints...whatever. I promise to read them all and respond to most.