Thursday, February 18, 2010

Thankful

There are many, many lessons that I've learned in the past six months or so. More lessons even than I could begin to list right now in fact, so I won't even try. Maybe another day. One of the biggest things I've learned though, and one of the things I am now most thankful for, is that at some point in our lives we all are going to get to a place where we just need to lean on others for a little while. This hasn't necessarily been easy for me to do; I've always (at least in my own mind) been convinced that I'm this terribly independent, doesn't-need-anyone, do-it-myself, kind of girl. But I see now that there are just going to be times when we can't do it on our own anymore and we have to have a little help.

It is the times like these I think, where you find out once and for all who your true friends are. The ones who can't be bothered, or who make empty promises to be there for you, or who say they'll call and don't...they're not the ones who matter. The people who matter, the people who we should hold on tightly to and never, ever let go of, are the ones who can be bothered, who don't make empty promises, and who do take the time to call. The Wizard of Oz said that "The heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." If this is really true then I think I must be the luckiest, most blessed girl in the entire world because I am completely surrounded by people who love me and who have gone out of their way in the past few weeks to make sure I am ok.

To all of you who have called, or sent sweet notes, or flowers, or books or random texts to tell me you love me and are thinking of me...thank you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your kindesses have meant more and done more for me than you can possibly know and I am forever grateful to all of you. I don't know where I would be right now if not for you all and I can only hope that if you ever need me I can be as good to you as you have been to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from those of you who are reading! comments, questions, complaints...whatever. I promise to read them all and respond to most.