Sunday, February 21, 2010

Project #1

One of the "good" things (and I use the term loosely) about being on my own is that for the first time, I get to do exactly what I want, when I want and how I want. I don't mean that like I'm free to go out bar hopping until 3:00 a.m. with no thought to my responsibilies at home...although I guess I could if I were so inclined. I just mean that for the first time in my life really, I am 100% on my own and responsible for making all of my own decisions. I have my own job, I make my own money, and I spend that money and my time as I see fit.

This whole divorce thing actually happened relatively quickly--for which I am thankful, but it didn't leave me just a ton of time to apartment or furniture hunt. I actually found my new place and moved in under a week, and when I moved I had not a lot of furniture. I basically had the bedroom set I owned before the wedding and a table and chairs and...that's it. No living room furniture, no desk, no bookshelves, not even a computer.

First, let me just say that I love my new place. And even more importantly, I'm proud of myself for finding it and leasing it all by myself, without help or guidance or advise from anyone. It was a little scary, I'm not gonna lie, to sign that agreement without getting a second opinion from anyone, but at the end of the day it turned out really well and the sense of accomplishment I feel makes it worth the apprehension I had in the beginning.

I decided that when it comes to actually furnishing the new house, I'm going to take my time and look for pieces that I really love. Even though I have no living room furniture (I've been watching TV sitting on an air mattress the past couple weeks) I didn't just rush out and buy the first couch I found. I figured that this is a semi-major purchase, its going to be an investment, and I want it to be exactly what I want. So instead of buying one off the floor at some furniture store, I ordered exactly what I want and am having the thing reupholstered to a fabric that I chose myself. Yes, that means I'll have to wait 6-8 weeks before it actually arrives but when it does, I know that it'll be perfect. And so far none of my friends even seem to mind that when they come over I can't actually offer them a place to sit.

So new couch is ordered and should arrive next month, but while I was out and about over the weekend, I found something else that I absolutely wanted for my new living room.



One of my friends and I found this little beauty in the back room of an antique consignment shop in Metairie and as soon as I saw it, I knew it was exactly what I wanted to sit my TV on. Seriously, how adorable is this? Going forward we are now going to refer to her as "Project #1" because in her current state she won't really match anything else I own or fit in with the "look" I think I want. Once I get finished sanding her down and painting her a shiny cherry red though, she will be completely perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from those of you who are reading! comments, questions, complaints...whatever. I promise to read them all and respond to most.