Monday, January 18, 2010

Embracing the Nerdiness

It has come to my attention that a few of you don't believe me when I say that I am a complete and total nerd. I don't know how I've managed to convince you otherwise but let me assure that I am in fact, nerdy beyond belief. It's true. I don't wear glasses and I keep my pocket protector and calculator out of sight for the most part but don't let those things fool you. Let's examine the evidence, shall we?


#1: My job. Do you know what I do for a living? I just spent the past five years of my life getting an ACCOUNTING degree and an MBA and now I work as an assistant to the CFO at the hospital. Accounting, people! Do you know a nerdier, more boring group of human beings on this whole earth than Accountants? The answer is no, you don't, because one does not exist. Accountants are the epitome of the "number cruncher." That's what we do, all day everyday. Numbers, numbers, numbers. (I like to think of it in terms of "money, money, money" but at the end of the day it all boils down to the same thing). ACCOUNTANT = NERDY.


#2: My hobbies. The one thing I enjoy doing better than just about anything else in the whole world is reading. I love to read. I'll read anything and everything and as soon as I finish I'll turn around and read it all again. I spent the better part of elementary school hiding out in the library with a stack of books (quite possibly to the detriment of my math skills and knowledge of World History but whatever) and even now I'd choose a good book over TV or a movie any day of the week (and twice on Sundays of course). When I was little my sister and friends would sometimes get mad at me because I would choose to stay inside and read instead of coming outside to play with them. READING = NERDY.


#3: My obsession with nerdy things. I went through a phase in elementary school where I was obsessed with Amelia Earhart and Helen Keller. I don't know why. Sure, they're very interesting historical figures (and women no less) but how many third graders have read every single book in the biography section of the school library? At my school the answer was "one"; me. In middle school I developed an absolute fanatic obsession with the X-Files. Actually, come to think of it, this obsession continues to this day. Have you ever seen the show? If so, can you say SUPER nerd? If we're being honest here, I probably took my obsession to a borderline unhealthy level, but whatever. I'm sure its nothing a few good years of therapy can't fix. X-FILES = NERDY.


Now this may come across as just a wee bit of self-deprecating humor on my part. Wrong! I'm totally proud of and willing to embrace my nerdiness. I'll wear the nerd badge of honor with pride and stand tall knowing that I have nothing to be ashamed of here.

Have I convinced you yet?



1 comment:

  1. Nerds are awesome! I consider myself to be a nerd. I love the Discovery Chanel and would much rather watch a documentary on any given topic than a reality show. I love office supplies and buy them any chance I get. My idea of a fun vacation is going somewhere that they have great museums and historical sites. Nerds rock if you ask me! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from those of you who are reading! comments, questions, complaints...whatever. I promise to read them all and respond to most.