Friday, September 25, 2009

My Job

It's been a good week. Nothing wild or crazy...actually nothing out of the ordinary at all. But good nonetheless.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of this whole "job" thing and the more comfortable I get with it, the better I like it. Let me rephrase that; the more comfortable I get with it, the more I enjoy being at work because the better I feel like I'm doing. I've liked it a lot from day one, I just don't like the feeling of not being very efficient at something because I don't know how to do it and that's how I felt a lot of the first couple weeks.

Not that I'm an expert at this point or anything, but I do feel like I'm starting to at least understand a little bit more about the big picture. I don't feel like I'm completely in the dark anymore. Now I'm only mostly in the dark. ;-) My favorite part is when the bosses let me tag along to important meetings with them. I don't usually understand everything that goes on in those things but man, I sure do learn a lot.

The more I get to know him, the more I really really like my boss too. Not only is he very good at what he does (from what I can tell), he's been just incredible about answering any questions I have and making sure that I'm learning a lot too. How many CFOs out there would let the new kid take control of their calendar and pencil themselves into it for Q&A sessions whenever they wanted? I think that's awesome! I feel very, very fortunate to have found a job that I not only like, but that is giving me this opportunity to learn as much as I can. And you know, even if I didn't like the job, at this point I'd feel darn lucky just to be gainfully employed at all. I know so many people (intelligent, educated, qualified people) who can't find work right now. If I were guessing, I'd say that a solid 50% of my MBA class still hasn't found jobs. How sad is that? A lot of my classmates had much more work experience coming into the program than I did too, so the fact that many of them are now struggling to find work makes me that much more thankful that I was able to. I'd have probably had a nervous breakdown by this point if I hadn't gotten this job. I couldn't take much more sitting around the house all day waiting.

In other news, one of Zack's good buddies and his girlfriend are going to be in town this wekeend, which we're super excited about. This guy was in our wedding so I know Zack is especially looking forward to getting to spend some time hanging out with him. The CATS play Florida tomorrow night so we're HOPING that we can find someplace in town that will be showing the game on ESPN2 so we can watch it with them. Zack thinks it shouldn't be a problem but I dunno...I'm thinking if LSU is playing at the same time it might be tough. Kentucky doesn't exactly get a lot of love down here in Tiger country. We'll see though. I'll let you know how that works out for us.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a new follower and I LOVE your blog. It's so cute! I'm also from KY and can't wait to watch the game tomorrow! C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS!
    Congrats on the job. I can't wait to learn more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! i hope you'll keep reading ;-D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from those of you who are reading! comments, questions, complaints...whatever. I promise to read them all and respond to most.