Friday, September 11, 2009

Lauren's Favorite Things

In honor of a rainy Saturday afternoon I've decided to make like Oprah and do a "favorite things" list. Since I'm so creative and all, I'm going to call it Lauren's Favorite Things. Is that original or what? I guess I'll number the list to make it look more important and official but just know that these are in no particular order. Some are big. Some are small. Some are just plain silly. They're all things though, that for whatever goofy reason make me really, really ridiculously happy. (And for the record, this is truly a list of things; not people. You will not see my family members, friends, or God on the list because those just go without saying).


10. Gone With the Wind - The book and the movie. Of course we all know the unwritten rule that the book is always better but in this case the movie is no slouch either. I watched the movie for the first time when I was like six or so, at my Grandparent's house one Thanksgiving afternoon. I didn't muster up the courage to read the book until high school (have you seen that thing? It's huge!) but once I did, I was hooked. Now I read it at least once a year. At least. I love Scarlett. I love Rhett. I love Vivien Leigh as Scarlet and Clark Gable as Rhett. I love Mammy and Prissy and Ashley and Gerald O'Hara. I cry like a baby every time Melanie and Bonnie Blue die. Rhett walking away at the end of the story tears my heart out. As far as I'm concerned this is the greatest love story ever written. Margaret Mitchell was brilliant in the timelessness of the story because to date, there's not been another romantic novel come along that can hold a light to this one. Nicholas Sparks, eat your heart out.

As an aside, I do NOT feel the same way about Scarlett, the sequel to Gone With the Wind. I'm sorry Ms. Ripley but your book was just too unrealistic for my tastes. You expect me to believe that a young widow traveled by herself from rural Georgia to Ireland right after the Civil War in order to find her father's ancestors and then the man who had walked out on her miraculously decided he missed her and came halfway around the world to bring her home? Come on. (Rhett Butler's people, which came out about a year ago, was actually pretty good though).

9. Cheesecake - If I could only pick one food to eat for the rest of my life, this would be it. Of course, then I'd weight roughly one ton but it might be worth it. I didn't like cheesecake when I was little and looking back, I think, "What was wrong with me?" because its sooooooo good. Zack makes fun of me because I don't eat it very often (mostly in an effort to keep my clothes fitting) but when I do I eat it slowwwww. You've gotta savor that. The past few years I've asked my mom for a cheesecake birthday cake and when I couldn't decide on a flavor I just ended up getting her to make me two.

Speaking of birthday cake...
8. Birthdays - Your's, mine, our neighbor down the street, my boss's wife's second cousin...it doesn't matter. I love birthdays! I love the idea that once a year there's one whole day devoted to doing nothing but celebrating the life of someone. I mean, how great is that? I don't even have to know you, if you tell me your birthday I'll probably bake you a cake or something.
7. Kentucky in the Fall - I am of the opinion that there's no better season than Fall and no better place to spend it than in Kentucky. I don't even think I'm biased here. I think anyone who visits Kentucky in say, mid-October would have to agree with me on this. I mean, look at that. You've got perfect weather. You've got football season and tailgating. You've got the Fall Meet at Keeneland. You've got my birthday (see above). Gee oh...just thinking about it right now is giving me excited tinglies in my toes.
6. Airports - I love to travel and I think I have an inherent need to be constantly on the go. That, or an undiagnosed case of ADHD that keeps me from sitting still for very long. Either way, I really like airports. It doesn't even matter why I'm there, if I'm in an airport I automatically feel like I'm going on a trip and that gets me excited. Plus there are so many random food choices and tacky gift shops--I can entertain myself for hours on end.


5. The X-Files - This is my favorite TV show of all time and no matter how many times I watch them, no matter how much fun my friends make of me, no matter how many people tell me I'm a complete paranoid weird-o, its most likely always going to be my favorite TV show. (I can't believe I just used the term weird-o. I haven't called anybody that since like 4th grade). I'm not even going to justify this one. I like it because I like it and if you don't like it there's a good possibility you haven't given it a chance. It's easily one of the Top 5 most intelligently written TV shows of the past 20 years. Period.


4. Red High Heels - I've had these for going on four years now I think and they're still just as stunning as the day I bought them. I don't even particularly like the color red, but these shoes are AH-mazing. They're attention grabbing without being gaudy and they're so classy its nuts. This is one pair of shoes that make me feel prettier and smarter and more ready to take on the world the second I put them on. You know you've got a good shoe when even straight guys notice them and tell you they're hot.


3. Grape Bubble Gum - I'm partial to Bubblicious (Gonzo Grape to those of us know are true connoiseurs) but when I'm desperate, anything will do. I'll even chew the grape flavored Double Bubble--that stuff that feels like you're chewing on a rock and tastes kind of like grape chalk--if its my only option. I chew gum like it's going out of style and I've got the worn down jaw to prove it. My dentist tells me I'm grinding my teeth down and I'll need jaw replacement surgery when I'm 50 at the rate I'm going now. I can't help it! I'm an addict I tell you! This addiction is justified in my mind because at least its not hard drugs or gambling or something.


2. University of Kentucky - I made the DJ play the Fight Song at our wedding reception, and everyone had to stand up and clap along if that tells you anything. The five years I spent at UK were the best of my life to date. If given the chance I'd go back and relive the entire thing all over again, start to finish, and probably not change a single thing. Kentucky is the only school I ever wanted to go to; it was the only place I even applied to for that matter. Had they not let me in I guess I just wouldn't have gone to college at all. I love this place. I can respect that not everyone loves the CATS like I do but if you're going to talk trash about my Alma mater we probably can't be friends.

1. Abby - Just look at that face! Need I say more? I think not. She's the best dog in the wholewideworld!!! She's suuuuuuuuper, super smart too...smarter than a lot of people I know come to think of it. We've had her since she was a puppy and I was in 6th grade. She's getting to be a bit of an old lady now, starting to slow down a little, but still the best pet anyone could ask for.











1 comment:

  1. We have some of the same favorite things!!! Such as: Abby, UK, Kentucky fall, and X-files.

    Okay, so not the last one. I'm not a weirdo.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from those of you who are reading! comments, questions, complaints...whatever. I promise to read them all and respond to most.