Saturday, August 15, 2009

Finally Meeting People!

So, the big news of this week is that Zack and I have finally begun to meet some people here in NOLA! If you've been following my posts you already know that he participated in a volunteer project this week as part of his orientation, so actually he has gotten to spend several days now with some of the people in his class. He was in a group with two other guys, one of whom is married, which excited me because Zack said the guy was really nice and his wife seemed to be as well. I think he really enjoyed the week, if for no other reason than he got to learn a little about the city and get to know a couple of people.

So last night there was a happy hour get-together for all of the students (and their families) who participated in the volunteer project. I've been kinda lonely being by myself all week with nothing else going on to speak of, so we went. It was great! Happy hours aren't typically my thing but this turned out to be a lot of fun. Quite a few people showed up and we got to meet several other couples, which thrilled me, because we seemed to have a lot in common with them and I can see us becoming good friends with some of these people. It was nice too, to talk to the wives of a couple other guys who are about to begin school and hear that they're in the same boat as me; tough time finding a job, don't really know anyone, etc. Just kinda made me feel not so alone I guess.

In other, not-so-fun news, still no word on the job front. I was really, really hoping I would hear back from the people I interviewed with last week but it didn't happen. Is this good or bad? I have no idea. I'm going to assume its good, or at least not bad, since I haven't heard back that I didn't get the job. Hopefully this means I am at least still a candidate. If you all could keep your fingers crossed just a little while longer though, that'd be great!

My sister, Leah, and her boyfriend, Jordan are coming this week, so if there is a silver lining to the not-having-a-job cloud, this is it! At least it's looking like I'll get to spend more time with them during their visit than I would if I had already started working and had to be in the office all day. I CAN'T WAIT for them to be here!!! I miss them so much since we've moved and I'm really excited to show them the city. Zack and I have a list of places we want to take them. There's no way we'll be able to fit it all into this trip but that's ok; gives them a good excuse to come back soon.

This is completely unrelated to anything but the Saints won their first pre-season game against the Bengals last night. Zack is determined that we're going to become Saints fans while we're here and insisted that we watch the game. Admittedly, I've never been real into pro football (though I LOVE college football), or any pro sport for that matter, but this seems like as good a time as any to start following it a little more closely. And I definitely want to go to at least one game while we're here if for no other reason than the experience of watching a game in the Superdome.

Alright, that's all I got. Byeeeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from those of you who are reading! comments, questions, complaints...whatever. I promise to read them all and respond to most.