Monday, May 24, 2010

Tell a Friend

I used to write a weekly column in the local newspaper back home. I started there the summer after I graduated from highschool and to date, it was one of the best jobs I've ever had. I loved it. I was fortunate enough to work for the paper in some capacity throughout college, and even continued to write my column right up until I graduated and moved down here to New Orleans.

My mom e-mails me all the time to tell me that she ran into so-and-so at the grocery and they just "loved your column and miss reading it every week." And "why have I quit writing?" I'm not saying this to brag because I've never thought my pieces were particurally special or exciting (I only continued to write them because I thought it was kinda fun) but to thank all of those people from back home who have been so supportive over the years. It means so much to me, even now, to hear from people who have read and enjoyed something I've written.

And I want you to know that I haven't abandoned you! I quit writing Under Construction for the newspaper because they quit printing it. I don't know why--we never had a formal arrangement one way or the other so I can't really complain. I just know that I would submit things that never got published, so after awhile I kind of just quit writing a column every week and turned to this bloggy medium instead. I like this because I'm not limited to any certain amount of space, I dont have a deadline or a requirement, and I can be slightly less politically correct than I could be when my stuff was actually being published!

I do miss though, feeling connected to the community I grew up in back home and getting feedback (positive and negative) from the readers. That was always lots of fun and usually pretty interesting to me, on a number of levels. So I guess what I'm getting around to is to ask a favor from those of you from back home who do read this--please tell your friends! Give them the web address and tell them that I loved writing for them each week and would love to hear from anyone and everyone who still cares enough to take five minutes to read what I have to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from those of you who are reading! comments, questions, complaints...whatever. I promise to read them all and respond to most.