Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I Think I Met Jesus On the Elevator...

and He was dressed as a large, black woman.

I should back up and tell you that I totally, 100% believe that God speaks to us through other people all the time. Maybe even more than we realize.


Yesterday was not a terribly good day for me. In fact, on a scale of 1 to Awful, it was like a solid 14. Needless to say, by the time I left work I was just barely holding it together. Obviously I wasn't about to break down in the office but I'm not so sure I could have kept it all inside much longer. So I get on the elevator in the parking garage and this large, black lady gets on after me and immediately asks if I'm ok. "I'm fine," I nod, but at this point the unshed tears are darn close to falling so I'd imagine I wasn't terribly convincing.

"Are ya sure, baby?" she asked.

"Mmm-hmmm..." And I was done. I broke down and told her the story and why I was upset (which at this point is irrelevant) and yes, the tears may have started to fall.

And do you know what Jesus did? This woman that I didn't know from Adam wrapped me in a big ole' hug and rode all the way up to the 8th floor with me (past her floor mind you), then followed me out of the elevator to my car and told me that she had been through this very same thing and that it hurt at the time, but that it was the very best thing that ever happened to her and she knew that would be the case for me too. She went on and on, speaking the most wonderful words of love and encouragement that you can possibly imagine--to me; a total stranger. It made my day and maybe it wasn't Jesus talking to me through her...but you won't be able to convince me otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from those of you who are reading! comments, questions, complaints...whatever. I promise to read them all and respond to most.