Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Cats...

the musical, that is. Last Thursday one of my bosses at work offered me his tickets to that evening's production of Cats. You should know that I love seeing Broadway shows. I wouldn't say I'm an expert or anything but over the years I've definitely seen my fair share of them and so far, I've enjoyed every single one immensely (Wicked, and Jesus Christ Superstar have been my favorites to date, but that's neither here nor there). Needless to say, I was thrilled with the offer to see Cats even though I had gotten very mixed reviews from people I know who had seen it. So, we went.

And it was really, really weird. I mean, really weird.


I don't know if maybe I'm just not artistic enough to appreciate it or what, but frankly I didn't get it. I sat there for two hours trying to figure out what in the world was even going on. I never did establish what the plot or the storyline of the thing was...I'm pretty sure it just didn't have one. If it did, it certainly managed to elude me. Between all of the jeckle Cats and Rum-tum Tuggers, and Old Deuteronomy I was lost. (If you just read those last few phrases and had no idea what in the heck I was talking about then congratulations, you now know exactly how I felt the whole time the show was going on).


All that is not to say some parts weren't enjoyable. The costuming and dancing really were amazing. I'd always heard that part of what made Cats so unique was the way the actors and actresses managed to appear so feline. And they did.

See what I mean? Kinda eerie almost, isn't it? The way they moved and danced was, like I said, incredibly feline in nature and was very cool to see. It's too bad there weren't those pesky little things like dialogue, or a plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from those of you who are reading! comments, questions, complaints...whatever. I promise to read them all and respond to most.