Monday, July 20, 2009

Selling Out

Well, I've done it. I've sold out. I've always said I would never, ever have a blog because I thought it was much too presumptuous on my part to assume that anyone cared anything at all about reading what I had to say. I had to keep journals at various times throughout my elementary school years and I absolutely despised it. I hated having to write down my thoughts and feelings at any given time, or putting into writing what I did that day. And yet here I am, giving into the ever-increasing social demand to make public every last detail of my life and writing my very first blog entry. I still don't know that anyone cares to read anything I write about but well, I'm not going to let that stop me!

I suppose I justify this whole thing because of the fact that Zack and I have moved hundreds of miles across the country and are strangers in a new city where we don't know a soul. I'm telling myself that this blog will be a way for our friends and family back home to keep up with us a little easier, and maybe catch a glimpse of our life down here in New Orleans. In all actuality, I think I just like to have an opinion on things and this seems like a logical outlet for that, and will give me something to entertain myself with when Zack spends hours on end studying at the law library.

I am hoping to make this blog a combination of things actually. An account, or documentary of sorts of our adventures here in the Big Easy certainly, but beyond that a platform from which I can further promote the column I write in the newspaper back home. For those of you who may be unfamiliar with it, I write a weekly column in my local newspaper back in breathitt County. I've done it for almost five years now, and I absolutely love it. That's where the name for the blog came from, by the way. I really probably should have been more creative in naming this thing but in all honesty, I think Under Construction is a very fitting title for me and anything I write so I'm gonna keep on using it. To that end, I'd like this blog to be an extension of the column and I plan (at least at the moment) to post each week's newspaper article on here, along with whatever else it tickles my fancy to write about.

Aside from those things, I don't know what else this blog may eventually evolve into. And that's the beauty of something when its under construction...it can really become just about anything.

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from those of you who are reading! comments, questions, complaints...whatever. I promise to read them all and respond to most.